Relaxing COPY FREEZE restrictions

От Simon Riggs
Тема Relaxing COPY FREEZE restrictions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
COPY FREEZE throws ERRORs if you use it inappropriately. This makes it
very hard to use in practice.

ERRORs should be replaced by NOTICEs, or just silence. That treats
FREEZE as an optional performance tweak, which is more appropriate for
its use case.

In particular, the need to throw ERRORs leads us to disallow the
FREEZE option for partitioned tables. It would be better to test each
partition to see if the optimization can be applied at the point we
open each partition. If we can, good. If not, no worries.

If we agree, I can code a patch to do this.

Relaxing this will make it easier to add support for FREEZE into pg_restore.

Thanks

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/