Re: Records, Types, and Arrays

От Raymond Brinzer
Тема Re: Records, Types, and Arrays
Дата
Re: Records, Types, and Arrays
Список pgsql-general
Sorry, I should have noted this as well:

"One should also realize that when a PL/pgSQL function is declared to return type record, this is not quite the same concept as a record variable, even though such a function might use a record variable to hold its result. In both cases the actual row structure is unknown when the function is written, but for a function returning record the actual structure is determined when the calling query is parsed, whereas a record variable can change its row structure on-the-fly."

I'm guessing that row() isn't really a function, then?  And even so, assuming this is the important difference, how is the ability to change row structure on the fly making the cast possible?  In what way would the query calling get_row() be critical?