Re: Implement predicate propagation for non-equivalence clauses

От Richard Guo
Тема Re: Implement predicate propagation for non-equivalence clauses
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Thanks everyone for reviewing. We updated the patch and added more strict
checks for the non-equivalence clauses before deducing new quals, including:

1) The non-equivalence clause for deduction can only be type of OpExpr or
ScalarArrayOpExpr, with two arguments.

2) The operator of the non-equivalence clause must be in the eclass's operator
family, if it intends to deduce new quals based on the eclass.

3) The expression in the non-equivalence clause must be equal to the
EquivalenceMember, if we want to replace that expression to get a new qual.

Thanks
Richard

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 12:01 PM Richard Guo <riguo@pivotal.io> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Richard Guo <riguo@pivotal.io> writes:
> In this patch, we are trying to do the similar deduction, from
> non-equivalence
> clauses, that is, A=B AND f(A) implies A=B AND f(A) and f(B), under some
> restrictions on f.

Uh, *what* restrictions on f()?  In general the above equivalence
does not hold, at least not for any data type more complicated than
integers; and we do not have any semantic model for deciding
which functions it would be correct for.

Exactly! The operator in f() should be at least in the same opfamily as the equivalence class containing A,B.
Besides, as far as I can consider, the clause in f() should not contain volatile functions or subplans. Not sure
if these restrictions are enough to make it safe.

One simple example to show what I'm talking about is that float8 zero
and minus zero are equal according to float8eq (assuming IEEE float
arithmetic); but they aren't equivalent for any function f() that is
sensitive to the sign or the text representation of the value.
The numeric data type likewise has values that are "equal" without
being identical for all purposes, eg 0.0 vs 0.000.  Or consider
citext.

Thanks for the example. Heikki materialized this example as:

create table a (f float8);
create table b (f float8);

insert into a values ('0'), ('-0');
insert into b values ('0'), ('-0');

select * from a, b where a.f = b.f and a.f::text <> '-0';

And run that query, this patch would give wrong result. Will address this in v2.

The existing planner deduction rules for equivalence classes are
carefully designed to ensure that we only generate derived clauses
using operators from the same operator class or family, so that
it's on the opclass author to ensure that the operators have consistent
semantics.  I don't think we can extrapolate from that to any random
function that accepts the datatype.

                        regards, tom lane

Вложения