Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?

От Hemil Ruparel
Тема Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Okay. I will not reply to them. Enough mental cycles wasted

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 1:11 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Friday, January 15, 2021, Hemil Ruparel <hemilruparel2002@gmail.com> wrote:
I am not asking people to get banned the moment they ask easy questions. I am 18. Believe me I have done that too (way more than i would like to admit ;P). I am just saying we should guide them. But there are some people who do not wish to be guided. They just want spoonfed answers which is untolerable in my opinion. You need to be ready to learn on your own. And attempt to struggle with your problem for at least a few hours before asking for help

Please consider taking the not top-posting request to heart.

This is part of what I was referring to - while you feel strongly about this position the moderators are not going to ban people for this behavior, nor should they.  The community can impose a punishment by simply not responding, or can avoid conflict by giving answers, while some cases result in attempts to educate (which I do on occasion...and which frankly, and correctly, puts me out there for needing rebuke/support as a community representative moreso than the questioner).

There is a lot of grey here and untolerable doesn’t fit well and you will need to make a personal decision if you find yourself keeping score and simply reading that kind of email causes discomfort.  On that point, I will say that my innate emotional response is quite similar and that I get concerned that I act in counter-productive and unhealthy ways at times.  But its not the responsibility of the project to prevent exposing me to situations where my highly judgmental nature is riled, and it should tell me if I fail to control my response to that emotion.  At the same time, acknowledging that people such as myself do generally positively represent the community it is does behoove them to consider providing support/tools that can mitigate this human aspect of the request/reply dynamic.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?
Сообщение: Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?