Re: EXPLAIN ANALYZE does not return accurate execution times

От Mark Mizzi
Тема Re: EXPLAIN ANALYZE does not return accurate execution times
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi, thanks for your reply.
So to confirm, EXPLAIN ANALYZE does not detoast rows? The original goal of these queries was to see the effect of fetching from toast tables on query performance.

On Thu, 27 Oct 2022 at 15:43, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Mark Mizzi <mizzimark2001@gmail.com> writes:
> When I run

> EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM unary;

> I get the following result:

>  Seq Scan on unary  (cost=0.00..1637.01 rows=100001 width=18) (actual
> time=0.009..6.667 rows=100001 loops=1)
>  Planning Time: 0.105 ms
>  Execution Time: 8.565 ms

> On the other hand, the following command

> time sudo -u postgres psql -c "SELECT * FROM unary" -o /dev/null

> returns after 17s with:
> sudo -u postgres psql -c "SELECT * FROM unary" -o /dev/null  0.01s user
> 0.01s system 0% cpu 16.912 total

The main thing actual execution does that EXPLAIN does not is
format the data and send it off to the client.  There are a
number of possible bottlenecks involved there -- TOAST fetching,
data formatting, network traffic, or client processing.  Watching
this example in "top", I see psql consuming near 100% CPU, meaning
that the problem is with psql's code to make a nicely-aligned
ASCII table out of the result.  This isn't too surprising: that
code was never meant to operate on resultsets that are too large
for human consumption.  You could use a different formatting rule,
or switch to COPY.

As an example, using

psql -c '\pset format unaligned' -c "SELECT * FROM unary" -o /dev/null

this example drops from ~16s to ~1.7s on my machine.

Сообщение: Re: EXPLAIN ANALYZE does not return accurate execution times
Сообщение: Re: EXPLAIN ANALYZE does not return accurate execution times