Re: 'infinity'::Interval should be added

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: 'infinity'::Interval should be added
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 at 22:24, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

So essentially I think supporting special values like infinity boils
down to trading away some small amount of performance -- more likely
to be noticeable with JIT -- for some amount of possible programmer
convenience.  Some people may think that's a good trade, and other
people may not like it.  It just depends on whether the 'infinity'
value is useful to you. If it is, you'll probably like the trade,
because aside from the notational cost which Isaac mentioned, it's
probably vastly faster to handle the infinity values in C code than to
stick CASE..WHEN in to an SQL query.  If it's not, you may dislike it.
If your application code now has to know about the possibility
'infinity' value that it otherwise wouldn't have to worry about, you
may dislike it for that reason also.

I'm not sure there's one right answer here - my personal feeling is
that infinite values are a wart, but I grant Isaac's point that they
can sometimes simplify SQL coding.

I have no objection to the introduction of another datatype that is stripped down for performance. I understand and agree with that need.

But the current datatypes do handle much complexity already. Blocking this proposal would not change that, IMHO. All that is being proposed is a small change to rationalize the existing code.