Re: ATTACH/DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: ATTACH/DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 at 10:56, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 1:54 PM Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Error in the COPY or in the DDL? COPY preferred. Somebody with insert rights shouldn't be able to prevent a table-owner level action. People normally drop partitions to save space, so it could be annoying if that was interrupted.

Yeah, the COPY.

> Supporting parallel query shouldn't make other cases more difficult from a behavioral perspective just to avoid the ERROR. The ERROR sounds annoying, but not sure how annoying avoiding it would be.

In my view, it's not just a question of it being annoying, but of
whether anything else is even sensible.  I mean, you can avoid an
error when a user types SELECT 1/0 by returning NULL or 42, but that's
not usually how we roll around here.

If you can remove the ERROR without any other adverse effects, that sounds great.

Please let us know what, if any, adverse effects would be caused so we can discuss. Thanks