Re: [HACKERS] Replication/backup defaults

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Replication/backup defaults
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Replication/backup defaults  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2 January 2017 at 09:39, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> Please do submit a patch for it.

The way this is supposed to go is someone submits a patch and they
receive feedback, then act on that feedback. If I was able to get away
with deflecting all review comments with a simple "you fix it if you
don't like it" there would be considerably more patches with my name
on it accepted, but probably no further forward in real terms because
of the loose ends it creates.

In this case, simply changing the default will remove a whole class of
performance optimization that we have educated people to expect. I'm
sorry to point this out but removing that will cause many real changes
for people's systems that we will not be thanked for, even though I
understand your reasoning and wish the same goals to be achieved.

I'm willing to assist in a project to allow changing wal_level online
in this release. Please let's follow that path.