Re: TABLESAMPLE patch is really in pretty sad shape

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: TABLESAMPLE patch is really in pretty sad shape
Дата
Re: TABLESAMPLE patch is really in pretty sad shape  (Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 13 July 2015 at 14:39, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Regarding the fact that those two contrib modules can be part of a
> -contrib package and could be installed, nuking those two extensions
> from the tree and preventing the creating of custom tablesample
> methods looks like a correct course of things to do for 9.5.

TBH, I think the right thing to do at this point is to revert the entire
patch and send it back for ground-up rework.  I think the high-level
design is wrong in many ways and I have about zero confidence in most
of the code details as well.

Based on the various comments here, I don't see that as the right course of action at this point.

There are no issues relating to security or data loss, just various fixable issues in a low-impact feature, which in my view is an important feature also.

If it's
to stay, it *must* get a line-by-line review from some committer-level
person; and I think there are other more important things for us to be
doing for 9.5.

Honestly, I am very surprised by this. My feeling was the code was neat, clear and complete, much more so than many patches I review. If I had thought the patch or its implementation was in any way contentious I would not have committed it.

I take responsibility for the state of the code and will put time into addressing the concerns mentioned and others.

If we cannot resolve them in reasonable time, a revert is possible: there is nothing riding on this from me.