Re: memory layouts for binary search in nbtree

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: memory layouts for binary search in nbtree
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 18 May 2016 at 14:25, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

currently we IIRC use linearly sorted datums for the search in
individual btree nodes.  Not surprisingly that's often one of the
dominant entries in profiles. We could probably improve upon that by
using an order more optimized for efficient binary search.

See e.g.  http://cglab.ca/~morin/misc/arraylayout/ for benchmarks
showing benefits.

Some stuff from >10 years ago about cache conscious btree layout as well. That led to adoption of 64kB pages on some benchmarks.

I think its a good area of work.

Сообщение: Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Сообщение: Re: Reviewing freeze map code