Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Don't scan partitioned tables.

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Don't scan partitioned tables.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
On 21 March 2017 at 13:48, Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Don't scan partitioned tables.

Sounds good.

> Aside from the obvious advantage of avoiding some work at execution
> time, this has two other advantages.  First, it may improve the
> planner's decision-making in some cases since the empty relation
> might throw things off.

I was surprised to see that an Append node still exists when there is
only one child plan to be appended. I thought removing that was the
whole point of the patch?

> Second, it paves the way to getting rid of
> the storage for partitioned tables altogether.

I thought we already discussed that. Seems strange to mention
something not very important that might happen in the future. We could
save much more space by optimising FSM.