Re: Compressed TOAST Slicing

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Compressed TOAST Slicing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 16:27, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> Sure, but we have the choice between something that benefits just a few
> cases or one that benefits more widely.
>
> If we all only work on the narrow use cases that are right in front of us
> at the present moment then we would not have come this far. I'm sure many
> GIS applications also store JSONB data, so you would be helping the
> performance of the whole app, even if there isn't much JSON in PostGIS.

-1, I think this is blowing up the complexity of a already useful patch,
even though there's no increase in complexity due to the patch proposed
here.  I totally get wanting incremental decompression for jsonb, but I
don't see why Paul should be held hostage for that.

Not sure I agree with your emotive language. Review comments != holding hostages.

If we add one set of code now and need to add another different one later, we will have 2 sets of code that do similar things.

I'm surprised to hear you think that is a good thing.