Re: [HACKERS] Process startup infrastructure is a mess

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Process startup infrastructure is a mess
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 14 September 2017 at 22:44, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> The way we currently start and initialize individual postgres (sub-)
> processes is pretty complicated and duplicative.  I've a couple
> complaints:
> I think we should seriously consider doing a larger refactoring of this
> soon.  I've some ideas about what to do, but I'd welcome some thoughts
> on whether others consider this a serious problem or not, and what they
> think we should do about this, first.

Refactoring without a purpose is a negative for me. It takes time,
introduces bugs and means the greater code churn over time introduces
more bugs because fewer people have seen the code. That is arguable,
but when we compare the priority of that against things people want
and need there is little contest in my mind.

If we add something to an area then its a good time to refactor it
since we were going to get bugs anyway.