Re: remove wal_level archive

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: remove wal_level archive
Дата
Re: remove wal_level archive
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1 September 2015 at 03:39, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

- The distinction between wal_level settings "archive" and "hot_standby"
is in the way of automation or better intelligence, because the primary
cannot tell what the receiver intends to do with the WAL.

So here is a patch to get rid of the distinction.

Bike-shedding:  In this patch, I removed "archive" and kept
"hot_standby", because that's what the previous discussions suggested.
Historically and semantically, it would be more correct the other way
around.  On the other hand, keeping "hot_standby" would probably require
fewer configuration files to be changed.  Or we could keep both, but
that would be confusing (for users and in the code).

I've reviewed this and have a few comments.

Removing one of "archive" or "hot standby" will just cause confusion and breakage, so neither is a good choice for removal.

What we should do is
1. Map "archive" and "hot_standby" to one level with a new name that indicates that it can be used for both/either backup or replication.
      (My suggested name for the new level is "replica"...)
2. Deprecate "archive" and "hot_standby" so that those will be removed in a later release.