Re: [HACKERS] MAIN, Uncompressed?

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: [HACKERS] MAIN, Uncompressed?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 25 August 2017 at 12:24, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> It looks like we need a new Column Storage option for MAIN, Uncompressed.
>> We have these Column Storage options
>> Plain - inline only, uncompressed
>> Main - inline until external as last resort, compressible
>> External - external, uncompressed
>> Extended - external, compressible
>
>> So there is no option for Main, but not compressible...
>
> Doesn't Plain serve the purpose?

No, because that just gives an error if you try to insert a large column value.

> In point of fact, though, "never inline and never compress" is not really
> a useful option, as it can be more easily read as "fail on wide values".

Agreed, but that is not what I am proposing.

Main is roughly what is wanted, yet it always tries to compress. If
you already know that won't be useful it should be possible to turn
compression off.

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] MAIN, Uncompressed?
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] MAIN, Uncompressed?