Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Add --no-comments to skip COMMENTs with pg_dump

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Add --no-comments to skip COMMENTs with pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1 September 2017 at 22:08, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 1:53 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> Thinking ahead, are we going to add a new --no-objecttype switch every
>>> time someone wants it?
>>
>> I'd personally be fine with --no-whatever for any whatever that might
>> be a subsidiary property of database objects.  We've got
>> --no-security-labels, --no-tablespaces, --no-owner, and
>> --no-privileges already, so what's wrong with --no-comments?
>>
>> (We've also got --no-publications; I think it's arguable whether that
>> is the same kind of thing.)
>
> And --no-subscriptions in the same bucket.

Yes, it is. I was suggesting that we remove those as well.

But back to the main point which is that --no-comments discards ALL
comments simply to exclude one pointless and annoying comment. That
runs counter to our stance that we do not allow silent data loss. I
want to solve the problem too. I accept that not everyone uses
comments, but if they do, spilling them all on the floor is a user
visible slip up that we should not be encouraging. Sorry y'all.