Re: Declarative partitioning

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Declarative partitioning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 20 November 2015 at 09:18, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
On 2015/11/06 1:29, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 6:08 AM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> The DDL and catalogs part are not much different from what I had last
>> described though I took a few steps to simplify things. I dropped the
>> multi-level partitioning bit
>
> Hmm, that doesn't sound good to me.  I think multi-level partitioning
> is a reasonably important use case.

I agree. I'm in the process of reformulating this proposal from the
syntax, catalog and DDL -centric perspective and will re-incorporate
multi-level partitioning notion into it. It was a mistake to drop it.

Drop it?? I think he means "in this initial patch", right Amit L ?

I don't really understand why parallel query was pursued in small pieces, but partitioning needs to happen all in one huge patch. Wishing too many things is going to slow down this feature.