Re: [HACKERS] log_autovacuum_min_duration doesn't log VACUUMs

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: [HACKERS] log_autovacuum_min_duration doesn't log VACUUMs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 13 February 2017 at 17:12, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:
>> On 2/10/17 2:33 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> That having been said, I think it could certainly be useful to have
>>> more control over what DDL gets logged in foreground processes.
>>
>> FWIW, this is a significant problem outside of DDL. Once you're past 1-2
>> levels of nesting SET client_min_messages = DEBUG becomes completely
>> useless.
>>
>> I think the ability to filter logging based on context would be very
>> valuable. AFAIK you could actually do that for manual logging with existing
>> plpgsql support, but obviously that won't help for anything else.
>
> Well, that's moving the goalposts a lot further and in an unrelated
> direction.  I don't think that it's a good idea to change the
> semantics of log_autovacuum_min_duration in the way Simon is proposing
> for the reasons I noted, but I think that an acceptable patch could be
> 100 lines of pretty straightforward code and documentation, like a new
> GUC that controls this output for the vac-non-autovac case.

If my idea would not log manual ANALYZE, well, we can add that in
easily. There is no reason to block the patch for such a minor foible.

This is a short patch to address a specific minor issue, not a blue
sky redesign of logging.

If someone else wants to add more, they can, later. Incremental
change, just as happens all the time everywhere else.