Re: 9.6 -> 10.0

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 9 May 2016 at 23:46, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> The question is whether others take an interest in doing the same thing for
> pglogical. I suggest that it is more about acceptance of the technology than
> it is about software quality, which is easy to measure. Perhaps that is just
> a matter of time.

Hmm, I don't agree with that.  Craig Ringer said on February 18th that
"I'm not sure anyone takes the pglogical downstream submission as a
serious attempt at inclusion in 9.6".  That was news to me; I had
hoped very much that it was a serious attempt at inclusion in 9.6.

My understanding is he was referring to what others thought of the submission, rather than what the authors themselves thought of it.

It was a serious attempt at inclusion as far as I was concerned and in my impression how Craig and Petr treated it.

So, I think this *is* about software quality.  pglogical didn't miss
9.6 because hate got dumped on it; I would have been delighted to see
it go into 9.6, as that would have been another point in favor of
calling this release 10.0.

It missed 9.6 because of a lack of effort.

It's easy to read things people write and misunderstand them. We might easily take the above as an admission that you deliberately didn't put any effort into the patch review, though I'm sure that's not how you meant it. We might take your meaning that the patch was not treated seriously by myself or others, or merely that people were lazy; I think we can safely ignore all of these possible interpretations and I'll take no offence from your words.

pglogical didn't get in and we can all move on, since we get to do it all again next year, together.

My comments in reply to Magnus were not about the state of the patch now, they were about the state that pglogical might be in when Sept comes, and whether we could safely rely on it being something the project could mention in a press release at that time. That is a very different question to what state it was in in March.