Re: Index maintenance function for BRIN doesn't check RecoveryInProgress()

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Index maintenance function for BRIN doesn't check RecoveryInProgress()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 13 June 2018 at 15:51, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2018-Jun-13, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 12:48 PM Kuntal Ghosh
>> <kuntalghosh.2007@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good catch!

>> > +1
>>
>> +1,
>> but current behavior doesn't seem to be bug, but rather not precise
>> enough error reporting.  So, I think we shouldn't consider
>> backpatching this.
>
> I guess you could go either way ... we're just changing one unhelpful
> error with a better one: there is no change in behavior.  I would
> backpatch this, myself, and avoid the code divergence.

WAL control functions all say the same thing, so we can do that here also.

I'd prefer it if the message was more generic, so remove the
summarization/desummarization wording from the message. i.e.
"BRIN control functions cannot be executed during recovery"