Re: Performance degradation in commit 6150a1b0

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Performance degradation in commit 6150a1b0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 24 February 2016 at 23:26, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
From past few weeks, we were facing some performance degradation in the read-only performance bench marks in high-end machines.  My colleague Mithun, has tried by reverting commit ac1d794 which seems to degrade the performance in HEAD on high-end m/c's as reported previously[1], but still we were getting degradation, then we have done some profiling to see what has caused it  and we found that it's mainly caused by spin lock when called via pin/unpin buffer and then we tried by reverting commit 6150a1b0 which has recently changed the structures in that area and it turns out that reverting that patch, we don't see any degradation in performance.  The important point to note is that the performance degradation doesn't occur every time, but if the tests are repeated twice or thrice, it is easily visible.

Not seen that on the original patch I posted. 6150a1b0 contains multiple changes to the lwlock structures, one written by me, others by Andres.

Perhaps we should revert that patch and re-apply the various changes in multiple commits so we can see the differences.