Re: Summary of plans to avoid the annoyance of Freezing

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Summary of plans to avoid the annoyance of Freezing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10 August 2015 at 07:14, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 11:03 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> If 5) fails to bring a workable solution by the Jan 2016 CF then we commit
> 2) instead.

Is there actually a conflict there? I didn't think so.

I didn't explain myself fully, thank you for asking.

Having a freeze map would be wholly unnecessary if we don't ever need to freeze whole tables again. Freezing would still be needed on individual blocks where an old row has been updated or deleted; a freeze map would not help there either.

So there is no conflict, but options 2) and 3) are completely redundant if we go for 5). After investigation, I now think 5) is achievable in 9.6, but if I am wrong for whatever reason, we have 2) as a backstop.