Re: Documentation: 21.5. Default Roles

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Documentation: 21.5. Default Roles
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 at 16:03, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 12:23:48PM +0900, Ian Barwick wrote:
> > I would hope to find correct documentation somewhere--that somewhere
> > should be Postgresql's own documentation.
>
> Indeed, however it's important that the PostgreSQL documentation remains
> stable for released versions.
>
> As-is, the current patch set would result in the term "default role(s)"
> disappearing from the documentation in the next minor release, which is
> bound to cause confusion for anyone searching the documentation for the
> term they're familiar with (unless they happen to be reading this thread
> or following the git commit log). Cue cries of "OMG Postgres removed a
> feature in a minor release!!!?!!".
>
> And as Stephen mentions, it will break a lot of secondary documentation -
> not just blogs but things like internal training  materials etc.
>
> If this change is made (which I'm personally not against), then it should be
> only from PostgreSQL 13. For 9.6 ~ 12, IMHO it would be better to tweak the
> existing documentation to somehow mention that "default roles" should be
> thought of as "prefined roles", and note they will be called this from Pg13.

Usually when I apply "wording" doc patches to head only, someone
complains that it should be backpatched, so I did that in this case.  If
we want to change that idea, we need to agree on the criteria.

True, but it's not a wording patch, you're entirely renaming a feature.

I agree with the change of default to predefined, but it shouldn't be backpatched.

There should be a comment in there that it was previously known as "default roles", with indexed terms for both.

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise

Сообщение: Re: Documentation: 21.5. Default Roles
Сообщение: Re: Documentation: 21.5. Default Roles