Re: pg_sequence catalog

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: pg_sequence catalog
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4 September 2016 at 23:17, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 3:01 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>> Uh, not as subtly as all that, because "select * from sequence" will
>> now return a different set of columns, which will flat out break a
>> lot of clients that use that method to get sequence properties.
>
> So? Clients expect changes like this between major releases surely.
> Subtle changes that cause silent breakage for end-users seems scarier
> than unsubtle breakage that tool authors can fix.

Agreed; some change in the behaviour if SELECT * FROM sequence is
effectively part of this proposal. I was going to make the same
comment myself.

I think we should balance the problems caused by not having a sequence
catalog against the problems caused by changing the currently somewhat
broken situation.

I vote in favour of applying Peter's idea/patch, though if that is not
acceptable I don't think its worth spending further time on for any of
us, so if thats the case lets Return with Feedback and move on.