Re: [HACKERS] Replication/backup defaults

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Replication/backup defaults
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 31 December 2016 at 15:00, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Cycling back to this topic again, but this time at the beginning of a CF.
>
> Here's an actual patch to change:
>

> max_wal_senders=10
> max_replication_slots=20

+1

If that doesn't fly, it seems easy enough to introduce a
"min_reserve_limit" GUC that defaults to 10 that gives a lower bound
on the amount of memory we reserve for many of those shmem allocs;
that can be set to 0 for people that want the old behaviour. Then we
can allow changes up to the memory limit without a restart.

> wal_level=replica

This is more problematic because it changes behaviours.

A more useful approach would be to bring all the things needed to
enable replication into one ALTER SYSTEM command, so people have just
one thing they need to execute and it will work out the details and
locations for you.
That way we can maintain the defaults yet make it easier to enable in
a useful way.