Re: [HACKERS] Replication/backup defaults

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Replication/backup defaults
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2 January 2017 at 10:13, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2017-01-02 11:05:05 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> My claim here is that a lot *fewer* people have come to expect this
>> performance optimization, than would (quite reasonably) expect that backups
>> should work on a system without taking it down for restart to reconfigure
>> it to support that.
>
> +1
>
> As evidenced by the fact that a large fraction of those optimizations
> are actually currently entirely broken. Without anybody noticing for
> years:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20150702220524.GA9392%40svana.org

No, the optimization works, but there is a bug in it that makes it
unsafe, not the same thing as entirely broken. That clearly needs to
be fixed, but it does not prevent the performance benefit, so that
argument is invalid.

We must listen to feedback, not just try to blast through it.

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Replication/backup defaults
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Replication/backup defaults