Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE with _any_ constraint

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE with _any_ constraint
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 19 May 2015 at 11:49, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> wrote:
On 19 May 2015 at 16:32, I wrote:
In the event that the INSERT triggers a constraint that the UPDATE fails to resolve, it will still fail in exactly the same way that running the ON CONFLICT on a specific constraint would fail, so it's not like you gain any extra value from specifying the constraint, is it?

​I don't know why I wrote this paragraph, it's just the product of me thinking of something else at the same time:
 UPDATE obviously doesn't resolve a conflict as such.

Thinking about it more, I suppose if multiple constraints end up triggering for the same INSERT, it would require UPDATEs of multiple rows. Is that the issue?

I'm sure we'll be asked these questions many times.

Can you comment on whether the docs are sufficiently detailed to explain this answer?

Сообщение: Re: Problems with question marks in operators (JDBC, ECPG, ...)
Сообщение: Re: Problems with question marks in operators (JDBC, ECPG, ...)