Re: (Again) Column Store on PostGreSQL

От Simon AUBERT
Тема Re: (Again) Column Store on PostGreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks Pavel and Pascal.

I guess I was really optimistic about an early implementation ^^

Best regards,

Simon

Le ven. 4 janv. 2019 à 18:35, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> a écrit :
Hi

pá 4. 1. 2019 v 17:12 odesílatel Simon AUBERT <aubert.simon@gmail.com> napsal:
Hello,

We can find this very informative blog post :
https://blog.2ndquadrant.com/column-store-plans/

I must say the approach with the "orientation" option is a genius idea.

I won't discuss much the advantages of COS, I had three years using Vertica -I loved it-, some tests of Monetdb, and recently Column Store Index on MSQL Server etc. And I'm pretty sure everybody is convinced this works great for Instant Analytics with products such as Tableau or Spotfire.. and much better than, saying, Hive. MonetDb is not so much enterprise ready (not even paid support available), CH is young while PGSQL has proven its high value in Transactionnal DB, the only thing missing for even a bigger deployment is this feature.

From what I understand, there is a team at 2ndquadrant.com that works on it (but I'm not sure it's still in the dev pipe).

My questions :
-do you develop from scratch or do you plan to use some code of MonetDb/Clickhouse/C_Store_fdw for that?  I don't know if even a collaboration between teams is feasible (I may be very naive but that would kick ass ^^)

 With high probability the code should be written from scratch - every database has lot of unique features, code base, memory management, optimizer, .. It is hard, almost impossible to reuse some code from other database.

Regards

Pavel

.
-is it still in the pipe? do you have an idea of the workload or even ETA?

-I'm not a developer myself but I would be interested in testing, benchmarking, etc.. how to get involved?

Best regards,

--
Simon AUBERT
aubert.simon@gmail.com