Re: make pg_ctl more friendly

От Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Тема Re: make pg_ctl more friendly
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Thank you for working on this! I agree that the current message is not friendly.

On Thu, 9 Nov 2023 at 10:19, Junwang Zhao <zhjwpku@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 9, 2023 at 3:08 PM Junwang Zhao <zhjwpku@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > After a PITR shutdown, the db state should be *shut down in recovery*, try the
> > patch attached.
> >

> previous patch has some format issues, V2 attached.

v2-0001-PITR-shutdown-should-not-report-error-by-pg_ctl.patch:

-                               "Examine the log output.\n"),
+                               "Examine the log output\n"),
                              progname);

I don't think that this is needed.

Other than that, the patch looks good and I confirm that after PITR shutdown:

"PITR shutdown"
"update configuration for startup again if needed"

message shows up, instead of:

"pg_ctl: could not start server"
"Examine the log output.".

nitpick: It would be better if the order of the error message cases
and enums is the same ( i.e. 'POSTMASTER_RECOVERY_SHUTDOWN' before
'POSTMASTER_FAILED' in enum )

--
Regards,
Nazir Bilal Yavuz