Re: Table AM Interface Enhancements

От Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Тема Re: Table AM Interface Enhancements
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 at 18:36, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2024 at 5:28 AM Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, I think so.  Table AM API deals with TIDs and block numbers, but
> > doesn't force on what they actually mean.  For example, in ZedStore
> > [1], data is stored on per-column B-trees, where TID used in table AM
> > is just a logical key of that B-trees.  Similarly, blockNumber is a
> > range for B-trees.
> >
> > c6fc50cb4028 and 041b96802ef are putting to acquire_sample_rows() an
> > assumption that we are sampling physical blocks as they are stored in
> > data files.  That couldn't anymore be some "logical" block numbers
> > with meaning only table AM implementation knows.  That was pointed out
> > by Andres [2].  I'm not sure if ZedStore is alive, but there could be
> > other table AM implementations like this, or other implementations in
> > development, etc.  Anyway, I don't feel good about narrowing the API,
> > which is there from pg12.
>
> I spent some time looking at this. I think it's valid to complain
> about the tighter coupling, but c6fc50cb4028 is there starting in v14,
> so I don't think I understand why the situation after 041b96802ef is
> materially worse than what we've had for the last few releases. I
> think it is worse in the sense that, before, you could dodge the
> problem without defining USE_PREFETCH, and now you can't, but I don't
> think we can regard nonphysical block numbers as a supported scenario
> on that basis.

I agree with you but I did not understand one thing. If out-of-core
AMs are used, does not all block sampling logic (BlockSampler_Init(),
BlockSampler_Next() etc.) need to be edited as well since these
functions assume block numbers are actual physical on-disk location,
right? I mean if the block number is something different than the
actual physical on-disk location, the acquire_sample_rows() function
looks wrong to me before c6fc50cb4028 as well.

--
Regards,
Nazir Bilal Yavuz

Сообщение: Re: allow changing autovacuum_max_workers without restarting
Сообщение: Re: allow changing autovacuum_max_workers without restarting