Re: Streaming I/O, vectored I/O (WIP)

От Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Тема Re: Streaming I/O, vectored I/O (WIP)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 at 02:53, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am planning to push the bufmgr.c patch soon.  At that point the new
> API won't have any direct callers yet, but the traditional
> ReadBuffer() family of functions will internally reach
> StartReadBuffers(nblocks=1) followed by WaitReadBuffers(),
> ZeroBuffer() or nothing as appropriate.  Any more thoughts or
> objections?  Naming, semantics, correctness of buffer protocol,
> sufficiency of comments, something else?

+    if (StartReadBuffers(bmr,
+                         &buffer,
+                         forkNum,
+                         blockNum,
+                         &nblocks,
+                         strategy,
+                         flags,
+                         &operation))
+        WaitReadBuffers(&operation);

I think we need to call WaitReadBuffers when 'mode !=
RBM_ZERO_AND_CLEANUP_LOCK && mode != RBM_ZERO_AND_LOCK' or am I
missing something?

Couple of nitpicks:

It would be nice to explain what the PrepareReadBuffer function does
with a comment.

+    if (nblocks == 0)
+        return;                    /* nothing to do */
It is guaranteed that nblocks will be bigger than 0. Can't we just use
Assert(operation->io_buffers_len > 0);?

--
Regards,
Nazir Bilal Yavuz