Re: Create shorthand for including all extra tests

От Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Тема Re: Create shorthand for including all extra tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 at 23:48, Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:

> On 05.09.23 19:26, Nazir Bilal Yavuz wrote:
> > Thanks for the feedback! I updated the patch, 'needs-private-lo'
> > option enables kerberos, ldap, load_balance and ssl extra tests now.
>
> As was discussed, I don't think "needs private lo" is the only condition
> for these tests.  At least kerberos and ldap also need extra software
> installed, and load_balance might need editing the system's hosts file.
> So someone would still need to familiarize themselves with these tests
> individually before setting a global option like this.
>
> Also, if we were to create test groupings like this, I think the
> implementation should be different.  The way you have it, there is a
> sort of central registry of all affected tests in
> src/test/perl/PostgreSQL/Test/Utils.pm and a mapping of groups to tests.
>   I would prefer a more decentralized approach where each test decides
> on its own whether to run, with pseudo-code conditionals like
>
> if (!(PG_TEST_EXTRA contains "ldap" or PG_TEST_EXTRA contains
> "needs-private-lo"))
>    skip_all
>
> Anyway, at the moment, I don't see a sensible way to group these things
> beyond what we have now (effectively, "ldap" is already a group, because
> it affects more than one test suite).  Right now, we have six possible
> values, which is probably just about doable to keep track of manually.
> If we get a lot more, then we need to look into this again, but maybe
> then we'll also have more patterns to group things around.

I see your point. It looks like the best option is to reevaluate this
if there are more PG_TEST_EXTRA options.

--
Regards,
Nazir Bilal Yavuz

Сообщение: Re: Test slots invalidations in 035_standby_logical_decoding.pl only if dead rows are removed
Сообщение: Re: Test slots invalidations in 035_standby_logical_decoding.pl only if dead rows are removed