Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 1:49 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 08:41:32AM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> Can someone describe a scenario where this (name of the binary not
>> clearly indicating it's related postgres) causes issues in practice? On
>> my system, there are ~1400 binaries in /usr/bin, and for the vast
>> majority of them it's rather unclear where do they come from.

Naming conflict because our binary names are too generic?  createdb
could for example be applied to any database, and not only Postgres.
(I have 1600 entries in /usr/bin on a Debian installation.)

I generally agree with Tom that there is sufficient precedence here that we don't need to worry about these conflicts per se.  However I would add two points where we might want to think:

1.  createuser/dropuser are things that I don't consider good ways of creating users anyway.  I think we should just consider removing these binaries.  The SQL queries are better, more functional, and can be rolled back as a part of a larger transaction.

2.  initdb is not so much of a pressing issue but I think despite the longer string, pg_ctl -D mydatadir init [options] would be clearer from a new user perspective and pose less cognitive load.

>> But it's not really an issue, because we have tools to do that
>>
>> 1) man
>>
>> 2) -h/--help
>>
>> 3) rpm -qf $file (and similarly for other packagers)
>>
>> 4) set --prefix to install binaries so separate directory (which some
>> distros already do anyway)
>>
>> So to me this seems like a fairly invasive change (potentially breaking
>> quite a few scripts/tools) just to address a minor inconvenience.
>
> +1.

Yes, +1.
--
Michael