Google Summer of Docs - Idea exploration.

От Abhimanyu Rawat
Тема Google Summer of Docs - Idea exploration.
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Hi folks,

I am Abhimanyu Rawat, currently employed as a full-time Research Assistant at Linkoping University, Sweden. A little background about me: I work at the networking lab, where the nature of my work includes coming up with ideas, implementing them in terms of simulations/real world PoC and eventually publishing the work in top conferences. Ex- GSoC 2017. Holds a Masters Degree in Computer Science from BITS Pilani Campus and worked as a networking file system protocols developer at DellEMC for around 2 years before moving to Sweden.

I am expressing my interest in "Compose a cheat sheet for backing up and restoring a PostgreSQL instance using X backup tool (11 tasks)" project. As the problem states that many 3rd party solutions are there that interacts with PostgreSQL, but how and why to use them, each one's pros and cons detail is fragmented over the internet. I propose a separate cheat sheet where I will document each of the 3rd party solutions in the form of a blog. The blog will contain the tabular comparison between all, followed by the setup, install and use case based instructions. This blog will generalize the 3rd party for others to plug and play the solution. Screenshots or maybe code snippets will be included in the blog.

For eg. Barman an open-source tool, used for backup and recovery with PostgreSQL. Its documentation is very messy, anyone will have a hard time going through. I will approach this problem by identifying the most common use cases of it working with PostgreSQL and running them first, and eventually documenting them.

This is a rough introduction of what I propose to do. Please review this plan so that I can further develop it into action items for my proposal.

BR Abhimanyu