Re: auto_explain sample rate

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: auto_explain sample rate
Дата
Re: auto_explain sample rate
Список pgsql-hackers
On 29 May 2015 at 11:35, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> It's sometimes desirable to collect auto_explain data with ANALYZE in order
> to track down hard-to-reproduce issues, but the performance impacts can be
> pretty hefty on the DB.

> I'm inclined to add a sample rate to auto_explain so that it can trigger
> only on x percent of queries,

That sounds reasonable ...

Cool, I'll cook that up then. Thanks for the sanity check.

> and also add a sample test hook that can be
> used to target statements of interest more narrowly (using a C hook
> function).

You'd have to be pretty desperate, *and* knowledgeable, to write a
C function for that.  Can't we invent something a bit more user-friendly
for the purpose?  No idea what it should look like though.

I've been that desperate.

For the majority of users I'm sure it's sufficient to just have a sample rate.

Anything that's trying to match individual queries could be interested in all sorts of different things. Queries that touch a particular table being one of the more obvious things, or queries that mention a particular literal. Rather than try to design something complicated in advance that anticipates all needs, I'm thinking it makes sense to just throw a hook in there. If some patterns start to emerge in terms of useful real world filtering criteria then that'd better inform any more user accessible design down the track.