Re: Global temporary tables

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Global temporary tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 at 15:30, Konstantin Knizhnik <k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

I forget or do not notice some of your questions, would you be so kind as to repeat them?

Sent early by accident.

Repeating questions:

Why do you need to do all this indirection with changing RelFileNode to RelFileNodeBackend in the bufmgr, changing BufferGetTag etc? Similarly, your changes of RelFileNodeBackendIsTemp to RelFileNodeBackendIsLocalTemp . I'm guessing you did it the way you did instead to lay the groundwork for cross-backend sharing, but if so it should IMO be in your second patch that adds support for using shared_buffers for temp tables, not in the first patch that adds a minimal global temp tables implementation. Maybe my understanding of the existing temp table mechanics is just insufficient as I see RelFileNodeBackendIsTemp is already used in some aspects of existing temp relation handling.

Did you look into my suggestion of extending the relmapper so that global temp tables would have a relfilenode of 0 like pg_class etc, and use a backend-local map of oid-to-relfilenode mappings?

Similarly, TruncateSessionRelations probably shouldn't need to exist in this patch in its current form; there's no shared_buffers use to clean and the same file cleanup mechanism should handle both session-temp and local-temp relfilenodes.

Sequence initialization ignores sequence startval/firstval settings. Why?
+               value[SEQ_COL_LASTVAL-1] = Int64GetDatumFast(1); /* start sequence with 1 */

Doesn't this change the test outcome for RELPERSISTENCE_UNLOGGED?:
- else if (newrelpersistence == RELPERSISTENCE_PERMANENT)
+ else if (newrelpersistence != RELPERSISTENCE_TEMP)

 2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise