Re: pg_restore -t should match views, matviews, and foreign tables

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: pg_restore -t should match views, matviews, and foreign tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 8 April 2015 at 04:33, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On 3/31/15 11:01 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> this patch adds support for views, foreign tables, and materialised
>> views to the pg_restore -t flag.

> I think this is a good change.  Any concerns?

Are we happy with pg_dump/pg_restore not distinguishing these objects
by type?  It seems rather analogous to letting ALTER TABLE work on views
etc.  Personally I'm fine with this, but certainly some people have
complained about that approach so far as ALTER is concerned.  (But the
implication would be that we'd need four distinct switches, which is
not an outcome I favor.)

My reasoning was that these are all relations that, as far as SELECT et al are concerned, can be interchangeable.

I guess this is more like the ALTER TABLE case though - if you "pg_restore -t" a view, you don't get the data from any table(s) it depends on. So substituting a table for a view won't be transparent to the user anyway.

I mostly just don't see the point of requiring multiple flags for things that are all in the same namespace. It'll mean new flags each time we add some new object type, more logic in apps that invoke pg_restore, etc, and for what seems like no meaningful gain. We'll just land up with "No table 'viewblah' matched, did you mean -V 'viewblah'? "

Also, I think you missed "MATERIALIZED VIEW DATA".

Thanks, amended.

Also, shouldn't there be a documentation update?

Yes. Again, amended.

I've also added mention of materialized views to the pg_dump docs for --table, which omitted them.

(It's rather unfortunate that pg_restore's -t is completely different to pg_dump's -t . Fixing that would involve implementing wildcard search support in pg_restore and would break backward compatibility, though).

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: "rejected" vs "returned with feedback" in new CF app
Сообщение: Re: "rejected" vs "returned with feedback" in new CF app