Re: Updating the intro for packages - improve usability, reduce newuser confusion

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Updating the intro for packages - improve usability, reduce newuser confusion
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 at 17:23, Dmitry Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com> wrote:

> чт, 29 нояб. 2018 г. в 07:35, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>:
> >
> > TL;DR: It's time to update the docs to make package-based and
> > installer-based PostgreSQL the assumed environment our users are
> > working with. Or at least put it on an equal footing as a first-class
> > citizen, not relegate it to the dark corners of notes and appendices.
> > The same is true for client drivers.
> Could you please add the reference to the Pgfe client library to the
> documentation?
> The patch is provided.

Please don't hijack the thread. I don't want to devolve into a big
argument about what does and does not merit explicit listing. I can't
imagine anyone here objecting to our official, project-affiliated
client drivers PgJDBC and psqlODBC, and if that's where the line is,
whatever, that's better than some massive time wasting argument.

Can we focus on the general issue I raised, not promoting random tools please?