Re: BDR - Failure of Primary Server - How to recover?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: BDR - Failure of Primary Server - How to recover?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 5 June 2015 at 23:32, cchee-ob <carter.chee@objectbrains.com> wrote:
If my Primary Server in a BDR environment fails what is my recourse for
recovery?  My servers are in the cloud so I don't have control over IP
address assignment either.  This hasn't happen but I need to present a plan
if our Production system has this occur.

You switch to writing to the secondary, presuming that you're not already doing so (it's multi-master), stop writing to the old primary, and remove the old primary using bdr.bdr_part_by_node_names(...).

Data that was committed to the old primary but not yet replicated is lost; if you can't deal with that you'll need synchronous replication.

I would be more inclined to use normal streaming replication and hot standby for a simple master/replica failover scenario, though UDR (or BDR in subscribe mode) is becoming quite useful for this use case too. If you don't need multi-master, don't use multi-master.