Re: [bug fix] Produce a crash dump before main() on Windows

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: [bug fix] Produce a crash dump before main() on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 20 February 2018 at 23:43, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

I've seen a number of usecases where apps start it alongside the app instead of as a service. I'm not sure how recent those apps are though, and I'm not sure it's better than using a service in the first place (but it does let you install things without being an admin).

We really shouldn't *break* that scenario for people. But making it work well for the service usecase should definitely be the priority.

Good point and agreed.

The patch proposed here means that early crashes will invoke WER. If we're going to allow WER we should probably just do so unconditionally.

I suggest changing this to a command line flag or environment variable test that suppresses Pg's default disabling of WER. A GUC probably doesn't make sense; it's too niche, and too early.

I'd be in favour of leaving WER on when we find out we're in a noninteractive service too, but that'd be a separate patch for pg11+ only.