Re: [HACKERS] Cluster wide option to control symbol case folding

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Cluster wide option to control symbol case folding
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 25 Dec. 2016 14:49, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

No.  This has been looked into repeatedly in the past, and we simply
don't want to deal with it.  Quite aside from the impact on the server
(which would be extensive), it would break every nontrivial application,
and force them all to try to deal with each possible folding behavior.
The more behaviors there are, the worse that gets.

Good point. That's been a source of pain for standard_conforming_strings and bytea_output. Many apps are also - sadly - hopelessly broken with regards to text encoding. (Including, unfortunately, PostgreSQL it's self, but more subtly than the obvious brain-dead behaviour of many apps).

Tom makes a good point. Apps that need to care are better off consistently double quoting.

Frankly if we were going to add any option at all I'd want one to force all unquoted identifiers to ERROR so apps could be easily validated not to depend on case folding behaviour at all. But even that has issues and is probably better done in tooling and static analysis or via a plugin.