Re: Package version in PG_VERSION and version()

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Package version in PG_VERSION and version()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 3 January 2018 at 00:53, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 12/15/17 06:53, Christoph Berg wrote:
>> Why reinventing the wheel when there is already --with-extra-version
>> that you can use for the same purpose?
> That modifies the PG version number as such, as what psql is showing
> on connect. I'd think that is too intrusive.
>
> And it doesn't work anyway: $ ./configure --with-extra-version ' (Debian 10.1-2)'
> configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
> configure: WARNING: invalid host type:  (Debian 10.1-2)
> configure: error: argument required for --with-extra-version option

I think --with-extra-version would do exactly the right thing for you:

./configure --with-extra-version=' (FooNix 1.2.3)'
make
make install

$ psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 11devel (FooNix 1.2.3)

$ psql
psql (11devel (FooNix 1.2.3))
Type "help" for help.

=# select version();
PostgreSQL 11devel (FooNix 1.2.3) on ..., compiled by ...

=# show server_version;
11devel (FooNix 1.2.3)

=# show server_version_num;
110000

Last time I tried to actually deploy packages that used --with-extra-version a variety of tools that talk to postgres broke because they choked when parsing the version. Including widely used ones like check_postgres.

These issues are why I've pushed repeatedly to make server_version_num GUC_REPORT, and expose PG_VERSION_NUM in pg_config, without success. I still think it needs doing.