Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12 Jan. 2017 02:59, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
-hackers,

I know we have talked about this before but today it was impressed upon me rather firmly. I presented a Webinar: Postgres for Oracle People. The attendees were 90% pl/pgsql developers. 330 people registered for an event that was only allowed to host 100 people. The webinar went on for 2 hours. (it was only scheduled for one hour, that is how interactive it was)

By far the tagline of this webinar from attendees was, "We can not port without packages"

What aspects / features of packages were the key issues?

Initialisation?

Variables?

Performance features like pre compilation?

Signing?

Code obfuscation?

...?

So this is a reality. If we want tried and true Oracle developers to port to PostgreSQL, we must provide some level of package capability.

There are some that would say we don't need them. You are right, we don't need them. We should however want them if we want to continue to stomp through the business sector and continue growth.

I use this post to inspire conversation on how we can get this done.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/