Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: [HACKERS] proposal: session server side variables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10 January 2017 at 05:14, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. The user doesn't need to re-declare the variables you want to use
> at the beginning of every session.  This is also the reason why many
> people want global temporary tables.  They don't do anything that
> can't be done with local temporary tables; they're just more
> convenient to use.

They'll also help a lot with pg_attribute and pg_class bloat.

I don't feel strongly either way about catalog use, but definitely
think declare-before-use is crucial. Pretty much every language that
implicitly declares variables has landed up adding a way to require
them to be declared for a reason.