Re: Using ProcSignal to get memory context stats from a running backend

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Using ProcSignal to get memory context stats from a running backend
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 22 December 2017 at 20:50, Maksim Milyutin <milyutinma@gmail.com> wrote:

On 19.12.2017 16:54, Pavel Stehule wrote:

Hi

On 18 December 2017 at 10:05, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 9:34 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 15 December 2017 at 09:24, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
>> Another simpler option would be to open up a new file in the log
>> directory
>
> ... if we have one.
>
> We might be logging to syslog, or whatever else.
>
> I'd rather keep it simple(ish).

+1.  I still think just printing it to the log is fine.

Here we go. Implemented pretty much as outlined above. A new pg_diag_backend(pid) function sends a new ProcSignalReason PROCSIG_DIAG_REQUEST. It's handled by CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() and logs MemoryContextStats() output to elog(...).

I didn't want to mess with the MemoryContextMethods and expose a printf-wrapper style typedef in memnodes.h, so I went with a hook global. It's a diagnostic routine so I don't think that's going to be a great bother. By default it's set to write_stderr. That just writes to vfprintf on unix so the outcome's the same as our direct use of fprintf now.

On Windows, though, using write_stderr will make Pg attempt to write memory context dumps to the eventlog with ERROR level if running as a service with no console. That means we vsnprintf the string into a static buffer first. I'm not 100% convinced of the wisdom of that because it could flood the event log, which is usually size limited by # of events and recycled. It'd be better to write one event than write one per memory context line, but it's not safe to do that when OOM. I lean toward this being a win: at least Windows users should have some hope of finding out why Pg OOM'd, which currently they don't when it runs as a service. If we don't, we should look at using SetStdHandle to write stderr to a secondary logfile instead.

I'm happy to just add a trivial vfprintf wrapper so we preserve exactly the same behaviour instead, but I figured I'd start with reusing write_stderr.

I'd really like to preserve the writing to elog(...) not fprintf, because on some systems simply finding where stderr is written can be a challenge, if it's not going to /dev/null via some detached session. Is it in journald? In some separate log? Being captured by the logging collector (and probably silently eaten)? Who knows!

Using elog(...) provides a log_line_prefix and other useful info to associate the dump with the process of interest and what it's doing at the time.

Also, an astonishing number of deployed systems I've worked with actually don't put the pid or anything useful in log_line_prefix to make grouping up multi-line output practical. Which is insane. But it's only PGC_SIGHUP so fixing it is easy enough.

sorry for small offtopic. Can be used this mechanism for log of executed plan or full query?

That's a really good idea. I'd love to be able to pg_explain_backend(...)

I left the mechanism as a generic diagnostic signal exactly so that we could add other things we wanted to be able to ask backends. I think a follow-on patch that adds support for dumping explain-format plans would be great, if it's practical to do that while a query's already running.