Moving packages with no postgres dependency into /common/

От Craig Ringer
Тема Moving packages with no postgres dependency into /common/
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-yum
Hi folks

Now that the repo rpms are unified and there are no repo rpms specific to a given PostgreSQL version, it strikes me that the practice of keeping various dependency libraries in the pg-version directories like /11/ is now past its use-by date.

I'd like to see every package that doesn't depend on PostgreSQL moved into a /common/ directory. Then have the repo rpm generate [pgdg-common] and [pgdg-common-debuginfo] entries that allow them to be fetched.

For BC reasons, everything in /common/ would be symlinked into each /10/ /11/ etc for the time being, so people with old repo-rpms could still use them.

Any objections, concerns, etc?

I think it's deeply confusing that the various libs are currently in pg-version specific dirs in the git repo as well, so I'd suggest moving them into a /common/ or /dependencies/ tree or something there too.

 2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise