Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12 December 2017 at 05:16, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On 12/9/17 19:28, Tom Lane wrote:
>> No, my problem with it is that there are lots of contexts where typing
>> "help" won't produce anything.  Robert's proposal downthread would
>> go a long way towards fixing that.

> No opinion on that, but if the problem is that people don't know how to
> quit psql, then we should just put that information back into the
> welcome message and be done with it.

I don't think people read the welcome message, or at least they
immediately forget it.

What welcome message?

$ psqlpsql (9.6.4, server 9.5.8)
Type "help" for help.

craig=>

Oh, huh. There's something written below the version.

OK, you might argue that if I wasn't a constant psql user I wouldn't have learned to be blind to that yet. But I think many users are probably almost as blind to welcome messages are they are to banner ads. And lets face it, the users we're trying to reach aren't necessarily the best readers/problem solvers already.