Re: FDW and BDR

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: FDW and BDR
Дата
Re: FDW and BDR
Список pgsql-general
On 2 September 2015 at 18:46, Willy-Bas Loos <willybas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, forgot [GENERAL] in the subject at first.

You don't need to add it. The list manager software does that.

> I've read that CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER currently is prohibited on BDR
> enabled databases. And other FDW and FTS related commands too.

Correct.

The reason for this is that BDR replicates at a database level, but
CREATE SERVER and CREATE USER MAPPING are global, affecting all
databases on a PostgreSQL install. BDR can't therefore guarantee to
replicate CREATE SERVER to other nodes, since it might get run on a
non-BDR-enabled database.

If you CREATE FOREIGN TABLE it'll succeed (since the foreign server
exists locally) but might then fail on remote nodes. We've already
committed it locally, though. This will cause a stop-the-world
replication halt until the administrator intervenes by creating the
foreign server on the other nodes. It's made even worse by the impact
of the global DDL lock that's held until the CREATE FOREIGN TABLE
commits on the other nodes.

To prevent that, we reject CREATE FOREIGN TABLE.

Supporting this requires one of:

- Global DDL replication support in BDR. This is quite hard to do and
is not currently supported.

- 2-phase transaction DDL replication in BDR. Logical decoding would
have to support decoding prepared transactions for this, and it
doesn't currently. So it's 9.6 at the very soonest, and we have other
higher priorities for this.

- Detecting global dependencies in a statement and checking that all
peer nodes have those dependencies, then locking them before allowing
the DDL to commit locally. This requires nontrivial statement-specific
support and a bunch of extensions to how BDR nodes communicate.

We have higher priorities, like getting more of the BDR foundations
into 9.6 and meeting the needs of customers actively using BDR. So at
this point there's no set time frame on support for FDWs.

Basically, PostgreSQL having global objects when we replicate on a
per-database basis is messy. It creates issues with users/roles, too.

> This seems obvious, but i want to make sure:
> Does that mean that FDW's are not supported at all in databases that use
> Bi-Directional Replication?

Correct at this time. You can have FDWs in a different database on the
same Pg install, but not use FDWs in a BDR-enabled database.

> (maybe one could create the FDW before configuring replication)

No.

It's possible to override the filter using documented settings, but I
don't advise doing so unless you're extremely sure you need this, and
understand exactly what you're getting into. If you break it, you get
to keep the pieces.