Re: [HACKERS] Built-in plugin for logical decoding output

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Built-in plugin for logical decoding output
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 23 September 2017 at 06:28, Gregory Brail <gregbrail@google.com> wrote:

Would the community support the development of another plugin that is distributed as part of "contrib" that addresses these issues?

Petr Jelinek and I tried just that with pglogical. Our submission was knocked back with the complaint that there was no in-core user of the code, and it couldn't be evaluated usefully without an in-core consumer/receiver.

It's possible we'd make more progress if we tried again now, since we could probably write a test suite using the TAP test framework and a small src/test/modules consumer. But now we'd probably instead get blocked with the complaint that the output plugin used for logical replication should be sufficient for any reasonable need. I anticipate that we'd have some disagreements about what a reasonable need is, but ... *shrug*.

I personally think we _should_ have such a thing, and that it should be separate to the logical replication plugin to allow us to evolve that without worrying about out of core dependencies etc.

There's some common functionality that needs factoring out into the logical decoding framework, like some sort of relation metadata cache, some concept of "replication sets" or a set of tables to include/exclude, etc. Doing that is non-trivial work, but it's unlikely that two plugins with similar and overlapping implementations of such things would be accepted; in that case I'd be firmly in the "no" camp too.

Code in Pg has a cost, and we do have to justify that cost when we drop things in contrib/. It's not a free slush pile. So a solid argument does need to be made for why having this module living in github/whatever isn't good enough.

I'd be happy to submit a patch, or GitHub repo, or whatever works best as an example. (Also, although Transicator uses protobuf, I'm happy to have it output a simple binary format as well.)

PostgreSQL tends to be very, very conservative about dependencies and favours (not-)-invented-here rather heavily. Optional dependencies are accepted sometimes when they can be neatly isolated to one portion of the codebase and/or abstracted away, so it's not impossible you'd get acceptance for something like protocol buffers. But there's pretty much zero chance you'll get it as a hard dependency, you'll need a simple text and binary protocol too.

At which point the question will arise, why aren't these 3 separate output plugins? The text one, the binary one for in-core and the protobuf one to be maintained out of core.

That's a pretty sensible question. The answer is that they'll all need to share quite a bit of common infrastructure. But if that's infrastructure all plugins need, shouldn't it be pushed "up" into the logical decoding layer's supporting framework? Patches welcome for the next major release cycle.

Thus, that's where I think you should actually start. Extract (and where necessary generalize) key parts of your code that should be provided by postgres its self, not implemented by each plugin. And submit it so all plugins can share it and yours can be simpler. Eventually to the point where output plugins are often simple format wrappers.

You might want to look at

* pglogical's output plugin; and
* bottled-water

for ideas about things that would benefit from shared infrastructure, and ways to generalize it. I will be very happy to help there as time permits.

As a side note, doing this would also help making logical decoding a useful feature for customers of Amazon and Google's built-in Postgres hosting options.

Colour me totally unconvinced there. Either, or both, can simply bless out-of-tree plugins as it is; after all, they can and do patch the core server freely too.

It'd *help* encourage them both to pick the same plugin, but that's about it. And only if the plugin could satisfy their various constraints about no true superuser access, etc.

I guess I'm a bit frustrated, because *I tried this*, and where was anyone from Google or Amazon then? But now there's a new home-invented plugin that we should adopt, ignoring any of the existing ones. Why?

No README?

Why did this need to be invented, rather than using an existing plugin?

I don't mind, I mean, it's great that you're using the plugin infrastructure and using postgres. I'm just curious what bottled-water, pglogical, etc lacked, what made you go your own way?