Re: Re: Support plpgsql multi-range in conditional control

От Isaac Morland
Тема Re: Re: Support plpgsql multi-range in conditional control
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 at 12:02, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

st 25. 1. 2023 v 17:22 odesílatel songjinzhou <2903807914@qq.com> napsal:

As follows, we can only repeat the for statement before we use such SQL:

begin
for i in 10..20 loop
raise notice '%', i; -- Things to do
end loop;

for i in 100 .. 200 by 10 loop
raise notice '%', i; -- Things to do
end loop;
end;

But now we can simplify it as follows:

begin
for i in 10..20, 100 .. 200 by 10 loop
raise notice '%', i; -- Things to do
end loop;
end;

Although we can only use integer iterative control here, this is just a horizontal expansion of the previous logic. Thank you very much for your reply. I am very grateful!

Unfortunately, this is not a real use case - this is not an example from the real world.

And anyway, this is already supported using generate_series() and UNION:

odyssey=> do $$ declare i int; begin for i in select generate_series (10, 20) union all select generate_series (100, 200, 10) do loop raise notice 'i=%', i; end loop; end;$$;
NOTICE:  i=10
NOTICE:  i=11
NOTICE:  i=12
NOTICE:  i=13
NOTICE:  i=14
NOTICE:  i=15
NOTICE:  i=16
NOTICE:  i=17
NOTICE:  i=18
NOTICE:  i=19
NOTICE:  i=20
NOTICE:  i=100
NOTICE:  i=110
NOTICE:  i=120
NOTICE:  i=130
NOTICE:  i=140
NOTICE:  i=150
NOTICE:  i=160
NOTICE:  i=170
NOTICE:  i=180
NOTICE:  i=190
NOTICE:  i=200
DO
odyssey=>

The existing x..y notation is just syntactic sugar for a presumably common case (although I’m dubious how often one really loops through a range of numbers — surely in a database looping through a query result is overwhelmingly dominant?); I don’t think you’ll find much support around here for adding more syntax possibilities to the loop construct.

Сообщение: Re: Set arbitrary GUC options during initdb
Сообщение: Re: Set arbitrary GUC options during initdb